Monday, February 11, 2013

Do you have to put your ethnicity on a job application?

I'm 16 and i'm an african american girl and I'm applying for a job at Barnes and Noble. I like spending a lot of time there and I know basically all the shelves by heart, so I thought it would be a nice place to work. But I was just thinking, and of all the hours I've worked there, I've never seen a black person working there.

Maybe I've just come by at the wrong times and there's black people working there, but no one that I have seen. I would rather the person looking at my application look at it and not automatically throw it out because s/he sees i'm black, and I would rather them see me in person and know that i'm normal and not by any means a "stereotypical black person".

Do you have to put your ethnicity on a job application?
>>> Do you have to put your ethnicity on a job application?