Sunday, July 14, 2013

How to ensure my cat feels safe in a new house?

I live in a one bedroom apartment alone with my cat that i've had ever since I brought her home when she was 6 weeks old. When I brought her home, she was terrified and had (sorry for the bluntness) diarrhoea on my suitcases when I went to go pick her up to comfort her, because I just moved in, and the apartment wasn't furnished yet. I am moving back home, however, in a much bigger house with my parents; there are alot of "nooks and crannies", storage rooms, stairs that go up and downstairs (one to the attic) and a basement. I'm worried she will be very confused and overwhelmed. How do I manage the transition?

Specifically, where should I keep her litter box and food; she trusts me and is not comfortable with anyoen else, so should I keep them in my room in the beginning (a fair distance apart?)

Should I not let her get into certain rooms?

I would appreciate all of you who take the time to answer, but please leave decent replies that will actually contribute to the conversation rather than insult me (I have had experience with this!) I am desperate here.

Thank you!
Added (1). I forgot to mention she is 3 years old now! And she is a bit insecure, anxious, and follows me everywhere. When I take her to the vet, she hides in my clothes and grabs on with her nails.

См. статью: How to ensure my cat feels safe in a new house?