Saturday, March 8, 2014

Mice in apartment and landlord won't help?

I moved into my unit in May.the homeowner has essentially taken one section of her house and nailed/painted over doors to make it 2 units. A separate house is built in the backyard that is the owners. I took the unit immediately because it is nearly impossible to find a landlord that accepts large dogs where I live and for all intents and purposes it appeared fine during my walk through. After moving in, I noticed there was some sort of yellow substance that was sprayed in ceiling corners and other nooks, and that there was a HUGE ant problem. After just a few weeks of me living here the landlord told me they were tenting the place and I had to stay at a hotel for 2 days. They told me where I HAD to stay so that they would foot the bill. The entire process of repacking my belongings after just moving in was a pain but I went on with it, when I moved back in. Just 3 days later I noticed a small mouse in the sink. It's the first mouse I've ever seen in my life and it scared me half to death. I wrote the landlord, and he said the owners brother (who lives in the house behind me) would come patch the hole…but it's not a hole, the mouse came out of a huge spacial gap between the kitchen counter and the wall (it doesn't butt up to the wall like most counters do). I didn't have the brother do anything because I didn't see how he could possibly patch up an entire gap and due to work I was rarely free. About 2 months later we noticed a mouse run out from the kitchen…and to make a long story short the frequency of seeing the mouse grew over time. We asked the landlord to hire an exterminator, he said we should try traps first. We bought about 5 different kinds…and nothing was working until a few weeks ago, we finally caught 2 mice in spring traps and 1 on a glue trap, now the mice are gnawing through the wood in our ceilings and they've even made a small hole in one part of the ceiling. I asked the landlord to contact the tenting company to come back…they just keep offering up the owners brother, but I feel like this infestation requires professional help.

We have 2 months left on our lease and I feel trapped because I either have to pay for the exterminator on my own or suffer with being awaken everynight to gnawing sounds that have now moved to our bedroom. Every piece of food we own is locked in our fridge and our dogs food is in an airtight plastic dog container. I have friends that are wanting to stay with us next month and can't think about watching tv and seeing one of these disgusting creatures running up and down the walls…or waking them up from the loud noises. I wish my landlord would be understanding but he just refers me to the owner and the (elderly) owner refers me to her handyman brother who is a nice guy… But not a professional. I would just hire the exterminator and send the LL my bill to deduct from rent, but even when he had me stay in the exact hotel they designated me to stay at during the tenting, they requested multiple copies of my receipt over the course of 3 months to make sure it really did cost what it cost- which insulted me because I shouldn't have to wait for reimbursement. I stayed in that shoddy hotel hauling all of my possessions and my dog with no frills…and the electricity went out during my stay so the whole process was a huge inconvenience for me, and on top of that you're going to vett me for staying in the one and only place you said I could stay in. I feel like we're in the money pit, I don't want to break my lease because I was a homeowner who rented out property myself and I pride myself on my credit score and my word, but I shouldn't have to live like this… I want to know if this unit is safe, my dog developed an allergy after living here that I've had to treat with expensive vet bills, and I developed allergy symptoms/rash on my stomach, throat itching and swelling after moving in too, but my symptoms dissipated, once I repainted the unit. I'm wondering if there's some sort of inspection I can have done?

Читать далее: Mice in apartment and landlord won't help?