Thursday, September 17, 2015

Desperately seeking advice on job situation?


I have been working in my current position for about a 8 months. It was a steep learning curve with a lot of things to learn, you do not come in knowing how the company functions. Much of the training is on the job and I think I didn't learn as quickly as my boss had wanted and nowadays I know he talks about that to leadership. But I finally got there - now I know pretty much everything to get whatever advanced level work done. It is at this very point that he tells me he is planning on hiring 2 new people, both in positions advanced to mine. I sat there and thought to myself why spend all that time teaching me? There were many times when he has admitted his expectations were off but this time it is downright ridiculous. He requested to have someone with no experience and then 8 months down the line is upset that it took me almost 9 months to figure things out.

Now I want to know if it is time to leave the company. The things I learned are not paying off and I feel I will be pigeonholed into this position for the long haul. As oppose to learning all of the nooks and moving up to something different I am going to continue being the person who does the "nooks." I did not want this and I am literally just depressed after learning of this and don't know what I did to deserve it. I have spent every weekend and many nights over the past 5 months getting myself to this place and putting my work first. This is the reward I get. Should I talk with boss or leave company?

Read more: Desperately seeking advice on job situation?