Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Carb cleaners vs cleaning carbs?

So I'm new to riding, I just got a used '97 Suzuki Bandit 600S and I LOVE it! The guy said that the bike was sitting for a while, but my dad ran his usual inspection on it and everything seemed to be running fine.It's running fine, but I know that it could run better, my dad seems to think that the carbs could use a "good ol' cleaning".My dads on a cruise for the next week so I cant ask him this, so I'm going to be asking the community this: How big is the difference (if any) between running carb cleaner (i.e. Seafoam) through the tank and actually taking out the carbs and taking them apart and cleaning every nook and cranny. Now I know it seams like the answer is obvious, but if it's better to just take them off and clean them, sync them, and throw 'em back on then why did someone even decide to make carb cleaners? I'm also going to do a tune-up myself (growing up my dad showed me a bunch of stuff with bike and I know the basics). I'm going to change the plugs, fuel, oil, and air filters, oil (obviously), and when I hit 15k miles I'm going to change the chain and sprockets (did I leave anything out?) I'm also going to sync the carbs after I clean them, does anyone have any info on if the home-made ones work just as well as the $100 ones? Don't try telling me to bring it to a shop! The reason I bought an older used bike is so I could train myself to work on bikes so when I get a nice, new bike later on, I can work on it myself without any question.
>>> Carb cleaners vs cleaning carbs?