Monday, February 4, 2013

What does my son need to do to get paid?

My son, Robert, worked for an owner/operator as a long haul driver. Robert ran constantly - he would ask for restarts (the legal 36 hours) and Peter or his wife would nook another load anyway.My son worked for this guy for over a year. Robert finally quit because he was running illegal logs and never got any time off. Peter would also leave him hanging by a thread for fuel and the truck my son drove leaked like crazy!!! Peter had some shade tree mechanic do the work on the drivers' trucks while he himself drove a top of the line '11 Kenworth.My son was told he had to pick up a load only after being home less than eight hours. Robert quit. Peter owes my son about $1200. Peter has also charged my son with a load of kiwi's that were delivered earlier - loaded wrong and top pallet fell. (Thought thats why broker and owner had insurance). He charged my son for a steer tire - (Peter uses recaps with no warranties) and refuses to pay my son at all.
What should he do to get the money thats owed to him??? Should he report what he knows to the DOT to ensure these types of things don't happen to others that might work for this guy? Thanks for helping us!!!
BTW - my son finally bought a truck with his Dad. They are on the road now!!!
>>> What does my son need to do to get paid?