Saturday, January 18, 2014

My new house has no dining area?!

Bear with me here, please, I'd like to explain my situation thoroughly:)

My husband and I just bought our first house in August. It was built in the late 1950's which is not my favorite year for houses being built, but someone did some updating along the way and they kept it in decent shape (knock wood!)

The house is mostly ideal for us, except it did not come with a designated eating space. No really…I'm serious, there is none.

The kitchen is quite small and with the cabinets opening and the much-used door to the garage being on the one free wall, there isn't really a spot for a real dining table (at least one that seats more than 2 people which we don't want).

The previous owner used one side of the living room as a "dining room" with a nook table that he left behind for us. The trouble is, the thing was just so bulky and look up a lot of space…plus, it just looked weird to me, having this random table there. It felt weird eating there with the fam on Christmas too.

A neighbor told us that the owner before the last used to use a spare bedroom as a dining room. I have no kids yet, so it's an option…but again.it seems weird. I think my family would be confused at holiday dinners. Mostly it's just so enclosed and far from the kitchen.

The MOST concerning thing to me is resale. I can deal with it, but can the next resident? This is our starter home, so in say 5 or 6 years, we'd like to move. What will families think when they see no space to eat dinner each night?

What would you do in my situation? Creative solutions?

(Btw, we have very, very little money to spend doing anything crazy, lol. So no putting up new walls or anything.)
Added (1). Sorry, I meant to write that we WANT a table that fits more than 2 people.

Читать далее: My new house has no dining area?!