Friday, June 20, 2014

When do children normally stop playing with toys?

My daughter is 7 1/2, and I've noticed recently that she doesn't play with toys anymore. She'll play with marbles every now and then but that's about it. She got her grandpa's CD player and system after he passed away and ever since, all she wants to do is play music on it. It sounds like a teenager lives in there. She'll just sit in her room, play music and play on her Nook. I hound her to clean her room because she lives like a teenager- clothes everywhere, food wrappers, shoes everywhere, but her toys stay in the same spots. She likes the park but she likes to play with the dog in the grass and just run. She refuses to play on the playground. Her last teacher said she's a little adult in a child's body because she just hangs out. She says things like "I want to be alone in my room with my music". Isn't that something a teenager would say? And her older sister from my ex husband's previous relationship lives with us, so I'm not sure if that's where all of this is coming from. I feel like she's growing up way too fast but this technically IS my first child and I'm curious to see if other kids outgrow playing this early.

Read more: When do children normally stop playing with toys?