Saturday, September 20, 2014

Do ferrets have a distinct smell when dead?

Ok, so I lost one of my ferrets about 24 hours ago and just recently found her(-Auri- female, about 5months old); dead. I have another ferret (-Patch-male, about a year old). So the reason i'm asking this question is because of where I found my dead ferret. I found her under my love sac rocking chair which is pretty much a beanbag that can rock. Now this is in my media room which has poor lighting to begin with. I searched and searched and finally found her under there after tearing apart the house. She was essentially suffocated to death. No blood or wounds that are apparent. Now I noticed she was missing about thirty minutes after I got back from work which means she had been dead for almost 23hours if not longer because she was running around the house with my other ferret. I brought Patch around with me so I could see if he could sniff her out. I remember specifically that he did NOT act weird around that part of the house (media room) we spent around 10mins in each room and I let him run around sniffing while I checked each and every nook n' cranny. Which leads me to this assumption. Do ferrets lose all smell when they die? I know my ferrets had a musky smell to them. But Auri didn't have a smell at all when I found her. Not even a rotting smell which I would assume be present because she had been dead longer than 20 hours unattended. To reiterate my question, Do ferrets have a distinct smell when they die?

Read more: Do ferrets have a distinct smell when dead?