Tuesday, October 14, 2014

How should I go about getting hired at barnes and noble or anywhere?

I've been having a hard time getting a part-time job and it's really frustrating me cause I really need to start saving up for a trip I plan on taking this summer.

The thing is that I've been getting calls for interviews but would be shut down. I don't have many professional references and the only job i've ever held was a summer job 2 years ago at my aunts salon. I'm 20 so I can get hired anywhere that i've applied to. I call to follow up and also actually go into the stores and talk to managers. With very little experience in anything because of a brief job that I had, it seems like thats the reason why I don't get hired.

I recently applied to a few retail stores, when I have no retail experience as well as a barnes and noble. In particular, I'm really interested in barnes and noble because I love books, movies, and interested in the cafe. I applied on a wednesday, came in on Friday to talk to a manager, and monday, called in to follow up on my application. For this store, they don't call or email applicants they aren't interested in. They just don't contact at all. And that makes me nervous. Should I call or visit again or will that make me look stalker-ish? If i should follow up again, how long should I wait before doing that?

How often should I call managers to follow up or what can I do during interviews to really wow them? If anyone who has worked at or is a manager at barnes and noble or in retail, please help me. What should I say to managers?

Read more: How should I go about getting hired at barnes and noble or anywhere?