Saturday, November 1, 2014

Why did Barnes & Noble reject me when I applied online?

I was looking for a new job, so I sent my resume to Barnes & Noble, applying for bookseller. That's an entry level job, you don't need to have any sort of experience or qualifications.

On my resume I listed the two previous jobs I had, the last one being very customer service oriented, the fact that I'm a book lover, and some volunteer experience. It didn't have any spelling errors, and I had a friend proof read it.

They sent me an email saying "after reading your resume we decided not to pursue you" - what?!

I was just wondering how that could happen? My availability was good too… What are some reasons they could reject me?
Added (1). It's true that if someone else has experience working with books, or has a degree, they would probably take them over me. It's just that in the job description it said they accept people over the age of 16, so I thought it was a teenager kind of job. :(

Read more: Why did Barnes & Noble reject me when I applied online?