Saturday, November 3, 2012

What does this mean? Hamster talking to Rat?

In our spare room we have 2 rats in a cage together, and on the other side of the room a syrian teddy bear hamster. Just recently after owning them for many months I noticed that they were squeaking or talking to each other.It was hard to catch but once you noticed it was hard not to notice.It mainly happens at night and lasts for up to an hour. They take turns squeaking back and forward.It's always the same rat, the other one does not partake in the conversation or whatever the communication is.

Is it an aggressive or stay out of my territory kind of call? The rat just lays there with it's head up, but the hamster frantically checks every nook and cranny in her cage running around and squeaking back. On some occasions I can squeak into the room and if either the rat or hamster replies the other one hears it and will sometimes start squeaking as well.It's very difficult to get one of them to reply to one of my squeaks but if for example the hamster hears me and realizes I am trying to communicate and squeaks back. The rat will hear the hamster and squeak and than I don't even need to squeak and they will keep squeaking for each other. And 90% of the time they need a reply before they squeak again.So if one of them stops usually the other one stops as well or will shortly stop if the replies stop.

What exactly does this mean? And I know not to ever put them in a cage together but should I place them on lets say the bed for a couple minutes and be there with them and see how they react or notice each other? Or just leave them be?
>>> What does this mean? Hamster talking to Rat?