Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How hard is it to restain a door?

The front door (main entry door) that I have is white and has been painted white probably a few years ago when the entire house had a white paint job. The door itself and the design looks good and the I like the windows but I dont like a white door. How hard would it be to strip the white and to have a dark wood stain look, something like mahogany?

This is what I am planning: Take door off hinges. Sand down with a sander until I hit wood. Get some good brand stain and apply evenly and rub with towel or rag.Do one side and let it cure.Do the other side. Then finish with some kind of weather protectant sealant or clear coat. I am not sure if this is a feasible task there are some small nooks and crannies where the window designs are (wood framing) but it's not TOO small that a little elbow grease can get into.Is it possible to change a painted white door to a wooden stained look?
>>> How hard is it to restain a door?