Saturday, January 5, 2013

Which tablets sort ebooks into collections using Calibre?

I currently have a Sony prs 650 ereader which needs to be replaced due to a damaged screen. Nothing I have found is a suitable replacement, that is to the same or upgraded standard. The new Sony T2 is cheap, ugly, does not support MP3s and most definitely seems like a downgrade. I have over 1600 ebooks sorted into just over 200 collections and I need something that will allow me to view everything in my collections in the same way it does on my Sony, otherwise going through 1600 books to find the next one in a series is impossible. I'm concerned about reading on something with a backlight or a lighted tablet, as I'm unsure of the prolonged effects of eye-strain caused by the light, especially as I have rather bad eyes to begin with and I often read for very long periods of time. I'm also worried about battery life, as currently my reader lasts a good 2 weeks or more, with heavy use, before it needs charging. I have set up Calibre to auto set series into collections when I add books to the reader, that way it keeps my collections perfectly. I'm concerned that if I got a Nook HD or something, that the collections feature I currently have wont be the same and I'll end up having to sort through 1600 books each time. I currently have epub, pdf and txt files, so I need something that can read all of those and merge them all into their various collections. For example, I have over 100 books by a single author, all in various formats, I need them to all go into the same collection together. I could convert some files, but I'd rather avoid it and really I do need epub and pdf compatibility. Another worry is the weight and size of the machine, which makes a huge difference if you end up reading a book for 6 hours straight. Does anyone have any recommendations? Pros and cons? Please help! Thanks.

Just to add, the prs 650 has been discontinued, otherwise I'd purchase another one in a heartbeat. I'm trying to claim on an extended warranty, but finding it near to impossible to find anything that is a suitable replacement and they are baulking at giving a full refund. For the record, the mere fact that Amazon use the outdated mobi format is enough to put me off for life.
Added (1). I forgot to mention, I need something that works beautifully in strong sunlight with little to no glare or disruption. This is a very important feature to me, as there's nothing I like better than reading whilst sunbathing!
>>> Which tablets sort ebooks into collections using Calibre?