Friday, March 1, 2013

Different Forms of Literature?

I was at Barnes & Noble tonight, and I picked up a new book. Thing is, it's a 374-page novelization written by John Shirley about the subject matter of the Gearbox video game Borderlands.It's called, "Unconquered" and it follows the Hunter character Mordecai.

I read "The Fallen" by the same author last year, which talks about the Soldier, Roland and just loved it! I couldn't put it down. However, people actually ask me why I choose to read books like these since their not "original" works, which seems to imply they don't consider them to be "valid literary works." So my question is this:

Do you consider books such as these to be "valid" forms of literature? Or would you think of them as being glorified pieces of fanfiction? What separates books about pre-existing subject matter from books about original content if we enjoy reading them? Isn't that the point?
>>> Different Forms of Literature?