Friday, August 2, 2013

Should I keep hanging out with her?

There's this girl I've been in love with for a really long time who, as luck would have it, eventually became a pretty close friend who I frequently get to hang out with at the university we both attend. Now, because of my relatively accommodating schedule, I'm able to spend quite a lot of time with her (and I do mean a lot!) and usually end up taking her on long afternoon strolls all over campus (she seems to love walks), visiting various hidden nooks and crannies in campus (another favorite), or simply eating out, and to be honest, I genuinely believe she enjoyed (and still does enjoy) these little excursions of ours, since, otherwise, why should she keep on coming every single time I asked her out? Every second I spend with her are moments of incomparable happiness and, indeed, just seeing her smile or laugh at my jokes is usually more than enough to make my day. I am a firm believer in old-fashioned 'gentle-manliness' (to everyone, of course) and at no time forget to hold/open doors for her, draw her seat in restaurants, carry her stuff when she gets tired, keep her from getting wet in the rain, all those little things, and waste absolutely nothing in an effort to make her feel special. Most of my friends (and hers) know I like her and I think she at least has a hint that I have feelings for her. She has, however, hinted (purely by accident, I think) that she might not be ready yet for a serious relationship (she hasn't had one, to the best of my knowledge) but wants someone who is willing to sacrifice his time and effort just to wait for the time when she is ready. I am willing to wait, and I am more than happy with things as they are now, but lately I've been having doubts. Right now, I am someone she trusts, whom she has fun with, with whom, I am convinced, she feels safe, but what right do I have to monopolize her time? What right do I have to take her from the company of her friends for my own sake, for my own happiness? True, she seems to genuinely enjoy the times we spend together, but at the back of my mind, I sometimes wonder if she only accepts my invitations out of kindness, out of pity, or boredom perhaps, outlandish as the idea may seem to me at times. I do feel she is special, one of a kind, and plan on telling her so someday not too far, I hope, but for now I am simply left wondering: should I continue asking her out? I know that she has other friends and I sometimes feel that I keep her from them by always having her by my side.Is there a limit to these things? Might she not tire of these little things we share all of a sudden one day? Might she not suddenly grow tired of my company? That is what I fear the most, I think. If you've read this much, you have my gratitude! I know it's long. Thank you very much!

См. статью: Should I keep hanging out with her?