Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Is spirituality more popular than ever?

I live in England, and even though it is perceived by many to be an atheist/materialist place, due to the likes of Dawkins, Gervais, Hitchens etc, the reality seems far different.

I was at my spiritual Yoga class last night, I took the instructor out for a Coffee afterwards and she was telling me there are 10 times more people applying more for her class than there was even 5 years ago.

Any glance on the internet or in the book sales for the 'New Age' department of Barnes & Noble will indicate that the impulses behind religions have not faded in humanity, in the least, in fact quite the opposite.

Most western Europeans did not even know what spirituality meant a few generations now it is a common word, along with consciousness, spirital growth, spiritual happiness etc

Perhaps it is something we have learned from many immigrant cultures but it is certainly growing rapidly, even my 12 year old niece has learned to meditate and talks about consciousness, it just confuses her mother,

This article, a few years old seems to be being proved correct

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1238146/Forget-say-religions-irrelevant-Spirituality-making-comeback--thank-heaven-that.html
Added (1). What is being discarded is the aggressive secularism and militant materialism of the me-and-my-bonus mindset.

The search is on for deeper meanings, better values and that 'need for something more' which seeks a spiritual dimension to life
Added (2). Thanks Isiah
Added (3). Choko - I have noticed it has grown in a big way, especially in England, I was asking if others have noticed, try to improve your manners, I find you a little bit rude

См. статью: Is spirituality more popular than ever?