Sunday, January 19, 2014

Need room set up suggestions for kids' rooms due to cramped spaces and constant fighting?

So, here is the deal. It's me, two boys, and a girl. The boys currently share (roughly) a 9' x 9' room and due to the rooms layout, are quite cramped. Bunk beds are not an option (have tried in the past but it didn't work out). My daughter has a smaller room, 8' x 9', and I have the so-called master room, 10' x 13'. The boys have both shared a room on and off throughout their 9 and 11 year old lives. They are quite close, get along fairly well, but most of their fighting over the past six months seems to stem from sharing such a small room. We recently moved, and their current room is so small there isn't even room for a dresser. Sure, we have the whole plastic, stackable baskets, closet organizer thingy, etc. It's just not the same these days, unlike when they were 3 and 5, or 5 and 7, fitting into smaller quarters. My daughter is only 5, and is actually scared of her room. Doesn't even like to sleep in it much, finding her way out to the couch or the floor in my room next to the faithful dog, or my bed.

I am debating on what to do with the room situation. I personally could care less about a big room for myself, as I merely just go in it to sleep. I know a 'room' has a completely different meaning for a child, thus, I am thinking of changing things around. One option being giving both the boys their own rooms, and moving my daughter into the larger room with me. Either by putting her bed in the space OR creating a bed nook out of the closet. Neither she, nor myself has a lot of clothing/dresses, and we could share a large dresser. I'm thinking it would be good for the boys to have their own space at this point OR, give them the larger room to share, keeping my daughter's room intact, and then I would take the boys' room.

On a side note, I have tried many methods to keep the peace in my home. The 'suck it up' method, etc. I am not a coddling mom, but do nurture my children. Anyhow, just curious what others might do in a similar situation. I know kids/siblings will fight, even if you give them an entire wing in a mansion, however, I'm thinking if my boys had their own rooms this might be best. A larger space may not be the answer. We can always look into moving in a few years to a more suitable sized home. Thanks.

Читать далее: Need room set up suggestions for kids' rooms due to cramped spaces and constant fighting?