Saturday, April 26, 2014

Killing Black Widow Spiders?


Let me start off by saying that I don't go around looking for spiders to kill. So all the spider lovers that want to tell me to just leave them alone don't have to respond.

My 2 year old found two "little people" houses that belonged to his older brother. They've been sitting outside close to the basement for probably a couple of years but are in great shape because they have been under our porch. I wasn't about to let him play with them without washing them so I brought them in and set them in the bathtub. As I began pouring water on them, black widows started streaming out! One came out of one house and maybe five (various sizes) came out of the other! Apparently I invaded a spider palace! So I sprayed them heavily with spider spray and killed all visible ones. My husband took them back out and sprayed them down with the hose. We left them out last night and then this morning I put them back in the tub and submerged them with hot water and bleach and left them in there for a few hours Will this kill any stragglers that may happen be hiding in some unseen nook? He is really wanting to play with these things and they make me want to vomit looking at them because I keep thinking of one creeping out! Anything else I can do to these infested things?

Read more: Killing Black Widow Spiders?