Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pro painters, how do I handle this situation with my contractor?

I am currently having my house painted, it's block with wood trim in Arizona. I hired a painter and confirmed with him that I wanted Dunn Edwards Evershield sprayed on & backrolled, he agreed (both in person & via email). He sent two painters who are spraying only & not backrolling. I called the guy & he now says backrolling isn't necessary - it's overkill according to him. His painters are getting paint all over my sidewalk, patio & driveway, they sprayed over my Craftsman rubber hose - which is fine, as long as he cleans it up & replaces the hose which he has agreed to do. But the house has tons of "nooks and crannies" in the block that are showing through because the paint is only sprayed & there are even a few areas where the old color shows through! I have only paid the painter $120 thus far since I paid for the paint directly at the store. Can some other pro painters tell me, is spraying and backrolling what should be done, if you don't want to go to the expense of rolling only? What should I do about my situation? The painter is currently out of paint & to spray again would mean at least another 5 gallons of paint at $187/5 gallons. I know he is going to be very hesitant to re-spray & he certainly won't roll it. I don't want to be unreasonable in my request, but I also don't want to get stuck with a crappily painted house.

Read more: Pro painters, how do I handle this situation with my contractor?