Saturday, December 22, 2012

Is a store allowed to ask for my bags if the alarm goes off?

I was at Hollister, and I was carrying my Forever 21 bag with my Forever 21 sweater, and a Barnes and Noble CD in it. I didn't buy anything in Hollister.As I exited the store, the alarm went off, and I stopped. Three employees, probably about 18 or 19 years old, ran out, and one of the guys said "Can I see your bag?" not in a kind way. I am still in my teens, and I got really nervous just because of the whole situation. I handed him my bag, and he dug through it and took out the sweater, and took out the Barnes and Noble bag, took out the CD. He took the sweater and waved it through the door a couple times, while I just stood there. Afterwards, he just said "Oh that's weird. Sorry about that", not in an apologetic tone.As I turned to leave, his friend/fellow employees laughed. I later learned at Forever 21 that the CD was what set off the alarms. When I was leaving Forever 21 again, the alarm went off, and a girl came over. Instead of accusing me, she just asked "Do you want me to make sure we took off the sensor? Sometimes we leave it on." I opened my bag, and she saw the CD, and simply just said "Oh, you're good.It was probably just the CD." And I left. I just want to know if Hollister had the right to sift through my bags. I know I gave it to him, but he was rude, intimidating, and accusing, and he caught me off guard, unlike the Forever 21 employee.
>>> Is a store allowed to ask for my bags if the alarm goes off?