Saturday, July 5, 2014

How to value and sell hundreds of antiques?

I am in a somewhat unique situation. My wife's grandparents own a very old farmhouse (1890) and we are exploring the option of them gifting it to us in exchange for arranging the sale of the antiques inside as a sort of purchase price.

The thing is, there are TONS of old things inside. The place is akin to some of he properties you see on the show "pickers". There of course is plenty of old junk, but there are also hidden gems (a cavalry saddle from World War One for instance). I have no knowledge of antiques and really have no way of determining what is worth some thing and what is not. It will take weeks just organizing stuff and getting stuff out of nooks and crannies, let alone selling it all.

I'm kinda looking for any advice on how we might handle this situation. How do I determine what is valuable? How do I pick a good price? How do I sell (eBay?). Are there companies like the pickers show that will comb through stuff and by it on the spot? Thing is, we want a lot more bought than just 1 to 3 items like they usually do.

Any advice on how we might strategize this process would be most helpful!

Read more: How to value and sell hundreds of antiques?