Thursday, January 14, 2016

Logistics and legality of scanning books I own to make them digital?


I have a ton of books but dont want them taking up space. I've moved around a lot already and probably will be doing more of that in the future and can't take them with me. I have access to several great scanners and would like to take the time to scan them all in making a digital copy of them and just put that on some device. It sounds good to me in theory all except it may take a long time. I'm wondering if this would infringe upon some copyrights laws or anything if I'm just using the digital copies myself and not sharing selling or distributing them. I wonder if anyone has experience with this who could say how long it might take to do a book. I wonder how much room doing this would take up on the device I put them on. Also wondering what device would be capable of storing them or is icloud storage a better option. I want something like an ipad or laptop I guess to read them off of and store them on I dont know if that would work. Anyways I dont really know anything about digital storage or even if this is a normal thing to do. I just dont want to get rid of all my books/still have access to and read them and can't take them with me when I move again in about a year. If there are alternative ideas I'm open to them too. Many of the books I have aren't available or published digitally so I cant purchase them to read on a nook or ipad or whatever. Please help thanks!

Read more: Logistics and legality of scanning books I own to make them digital?