Friday, November 23, 2012

Upright freezer blowing warm air?

I know this is a commonly asked question, but this has a new spin. The top freezer part of my fridge/freezer was blowing room temp air and all the food was defrosted. I read some stuff online about possible fixes.My first step was checking out the back to see if the coils were on the back or bottom (bottom by the way).To check, I moved the fridge unit out of its wall nook, checked, then put it back. After, I opened the freezer again and it was blowing cold air suddenly. I didn't touch anything. I just moved the unit 3 feet forward, then back to its original spot. WTF could I have accidentally done to fix it? How do I make sure it doesn't happen again?

Its an old GE, coils underneath the unit, and behind a panel in the back of the freezer. The fridge is operating at normal temp.

Thanks for your help!
Added (1). New development: i walked into the kitchen and the thing had shut down entirely.no sound.no fan.no air.the light still worked though.then i bumped into it, and it clicked on again? is it time to buckle down and get a new one?
>>> Upright freezer blowing warm air?