Sunday, November 25, 2012

Why am I having so much trouble with getting a part time job?

I am 21 and in school at a local University studying computer science. I have done a lot volunteer work in my day.

I don't have a whole lot of work experience but one thing I have done is a job working for the admissions department at the last school I was at where we traveled all across a few states, sang in an a capella group, and recruited for the school.It was just four of us and we basically did the job of admissions counselors because we often did not travel with an admission counselor and did basically whatever we were asked to do.In turn I was paid 5000 over the summer and tuition during the year which amounts to 21, 000 dollars for the year (which is not a bad salary as far as "unskilled" salaried work goes I should think). The difficult thing is that even though that required an enormous amount of responsibility it's hard to put down on a part time job application all of this and it make sense to an employer.

3 years ago I was hired at a movie theater as a seasonal worker in the summer and was told that I needed to call them to work whenever I get back in to town after fall semester was over and I never did.It might be stupidly obvious that this might be my problem but it seems to me that it would be so long ago that I don't think it's making a difference.In any case should I be putting them as a work experience.

I have applied multiple times to Target: before the summer, after the summer, and before the holiday season, and no interviews at all. I have applied to Staples, Books a Million, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, Petco, Kohls, I have made countless follow up calls (sometimes for the same application) and so far no interviews at all… I don't know if I am secretly blacklisted in the area or if this is normal but I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Also I would love advice as to how I would make myself more appealing to employers on my applications or how I could specifically follow up in order to get a job.
Added (1). Most all of the jobs I applied for were advertised openings on snagajob.com
Added (2). @Alice I appreciate the lengthyness of your answer! I have had a walk in interview at a new opening firehouse subs and the lady said that she would call me and not to give up on her but I would start after thanksgiving and i went in today to ask about it and she wasn't there but i was told she would be there after 11 am so I am planning on going about 2:30 to catch her at a hopefully not busy time. I'm definitely not a cocky person in the slightest but I will admit to being picky with jobs so I will try more fast food places. Should I leave off the theater job in my work experiences or does it matter?
>>> Why am I having so much trouble with getting a part time job?