Friday, December 28, 2012

My cat may or may not be finished giving birth?

While I have some experience in kittening, this particular birth is puzzling. This will be my cat, Mimi's, fourth litter. She gave birth to her first baby at 5:38 am this morning. Afterward, she attempted to move the baby twice. She went into the closet after having the kitten at the nook at the foot of our bed. Still, she seemed unsatisfied. After about an hour of keeping the baby in the closet, she settled back in the nook she originally gave birth in. She has so far not attempted to move the baby again. Also, I am unsure of whether or not she is finished giving birth. Her belly is still distended, though there have not been any contractions for over 12 hours. She is still very anxious and often yowls at me if I even go two feet away from her. She is still licking at her genitals and abdomen every now and again. I am mostly perplexed because her previous litters have turned out five, four, and finally eight kittens. I find it unusual that she seems to have just one this time. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow since that is when my check comes in. However, I am still concerned and would like to know if anyone else has had such an experience.
>>> My cat may or may not be finished giving birth?