Sunday, January 13, 2013

How to stop my Dachshund from constantly getting in my lap whenever I sit down?

I love him a lot, his name is Red, and he is pure bred and my mom's dog. I know it's in this dog's nature to do that, in the breed's nature. But, no matter what I can't get any room because he immediately jumps on my lap. He will eventually move over and you have to pick him up and put him on another couch. Don't worry, I give him plenty of opportunities to sit on my lap and pet him, certain times, but let's say if I'm reading my Nook tablet or texting or if I have to use scissors to cut paper, just as examples, he always has to jump up right away. When you are lying down on the couch he will sleep on your stomach or come up and keep licking you all over when you are trying to nap or sleep. I let him do that, but I usually move him over and stop. I feel bad when I have to move him over or go shut the door to another room if I need some space, but I still want him to be able to come up on the couch when I want him to, he just don't need to do this 24/7. Especially if I do have scissors in my hand, I may not realize it, and that could accidentally hurt him. The tv is in the living room, and I'm just using scissors as an example, even though I don't use them that much. He gets lots of attention, just times I need some dang space. Any ideas?
Added (1). He is an adult dog, a few years old or so. He used to live with my Aunt in Missouri, and has been living here a few years in NC with my mom.
Added (2). He is not a puppy, so he has been trained in other areas already.
Added (3). He is not a puppy, so he has been trained in other areas already.
>>> How to stop my Dachshund from constantly getting in my lap whenever I sit down?