Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Need advice with a huge sewing project?

I'm making a heavy duty cushion for a reading nook, using two sheets of 2foot x 5foot x 4inch high density foam. The finished product would be 4 feet wide, 5 feet long, and 4 inches thick. I'm working out a few problems with keeping them together, best way to upholster them, etc. Any advice would be very welcome!

First, is there a good way to keep the two sheets, side by side, from sliding around and away from each other? I've thought about trying to sew them together, but not really sure if the thread would just tear out of the foam with use. Also, would it be prudent to do a sort of quilter's stitch, (I apologize, I don't know the term I'm looking for,) one where I take thread through the top upholstery, through the foam, and out the bottom to keep the fabric from sliding around over the cushion?

Any and all advice would be helpful, even if it doesn't have to do with my questions. I make a lot of my own clothes and drapery, but this is the first time I'm trying something so foreign. Please let me know if there's something you can think of that I may not have thought about. Thank you!
>>> Need advice with a huge sewing project?