Sunday, June 30, 2013

Blu Ray discs, how long will they reign?

I bought 5 Blu Ray (1080p HD) movies from Best Buy all on sale for a reasonable price. I'm a pretty big film collector I have a large collection of VHS and DVDs and I'm recently collecting Blu Ray movies since I finally bought an flatscreen HDTV.My friend criticized me saying I'm "wasting my money" and "blu rays are gonna die" soon and i should wait for the next big thing… well i already know there's going to be something newer coming along eventually but it's not anytime soon is it? I mean look at this:

VHS: 1977 - 2008 (31 years)
DVD: 1996 - Current (15 Years so far)
BLU - RAY: 2006 - Current ( 5 years so far)

(^ I found that somewhere else)

I mean I personally think that Blu Rays are and will continue to be popular and manufactured for at least another decade or two, no?

and lastly I don't believe I'm wasting my money because I'm a savvy shopper and I refuse to buy, for example, Titanic at Barnes and Noble for $44, when I can drive an extra 5 minutes to the Best Buy and get the same exact thing for $14 (I actually bought it for that much on Black Friday). And I regularly watch all my movies since I don't have cable (I have netflix..I mean come on- $14 vs. $110?).

So what do you think? Am I okay with my Blu Rays or is it really going to be obsolete already?

thanks :*
~Phoebe

См. статью: Blu Ray discs, how long will they reign?