Monday, February 9, 2015

I think I've accidentally poisoned myself with bleach fumes?

The oven was cleaned with bleach without my knowledge a few hours ago.
I opened it up, turned it on and placed some chicken nuggets to bake for 15 mins. Noticed a strange smell but didn't think anything of it (I was working on the kitchen table so the smell was wafting over)
Finally I couldn't bare the smell anymore and went to investigate, opened the oven a strong chemical smell hit me. I stood there peering into the oven trying to figure out if someone had accidentally left a plastic bowl inside or something that could have melted and caused the smell. Then it occurred to me that it may be bleach residue as the oven had been cleaned earlier.

I asked the person who confirmed. But honestly the smell was so strong that I doubt it was just dry bleach. Rather some liquid bleach must've gotten into the nooks and crannies of the oven and been heated up.

To think I was inhaling the fumes the whole time.

I quickly shut off the oven and opened all the windows to air out the kitchen. Then tossed the nuggets.

I'm in my room now and my lungs kind of ache a bit but difficult to know if its because I'm panicking about poisoning myself or if its an actual symptom.

Help please?

Read more: I think I've accidentally poisoned myself with bleach fumes?